Homework from Saint Paul's Corinth (Bonus points)
Questions from Murphy-O'Connor on Pausanias (pp. 1-44)
- When did the Romans destroy Corinth? When did they rebuild it? Who settled colonist there in the rebuilding?
- What was the official language of Corinth in the time of Paul (i.e. in what language were most inscriptions recorded)?
- What were the two port cities of Corinth? Which was on the east?
- What games were sponsored by Corinth at the time of Paul?
- Who did Lais surpass in beauty?
- How far was Cenchreae from the marketplace (agora) of Corinth?
- What dieties were worshipped in the agora in the time of Pausanias?
- For whom did the children of the Old Corinthians cut their hair and wear black clothes? Thought question: What was the symbolic reason for doing this?
- By whom were the kings of Old Corinth replaced after the death of Telestes?
- How many people did the theatre at Corinth hold?
- What had Erastus paid for?
- What have archeologists found near Lerna of interest to immersionists? How deep was it? What temple is near it?
- What is the name of the mountain on the south side of Corinth? Whose temple was on it?
- To what social class would the inhabitants of the ruined city of Corinth (i.e. before its rebuilding) have belonged once the city was made a Roman colony?
http://www.bterry.com/1cor/murpocon.htm hosted at http://bible.ovu.edu/terry/1cor/murpocon.htm
Last updated on February 19, 2003
Page maintained by